Piston out of master

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, raymol@airmail.net
Subject: Piston out of master
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 97 08:15:58 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Jeff:
     I just went through the same problem with the master cylinder(s). I
     did the penetrating oil part (4 days), then pumped the piston out with
     a grease gun. You'll need a gease nipple, female-female connector, and
     a short piece of brake line to fit into the master. Tighten all very
     well, block the other hole, and pump - voila! piston out, grease all
     over.
     Two caveats:

     1. Grease fittings have tapered threads; don't try to screw it
     directly into your master. Be careful to get the right female-female
     fitting.
     2. Blocking the bigger hole requires some other size. I left the line
     that goes to the reservoir on and looked for something that fit the
     far end. It turns out a wheel stud has the same thread size, at least
     on a '60.

     I would not tap the piston and use a screw, because the fluid comes in
     at the centre of the end of the bore, and there's a good chance of
     screwing up the seal that the end cup makes when the pedal's
     depressed.

     After that, if you're bore is too rough, you might want to call White
     Post Restorations; you can find their address and number on the net. I
     haven't used them yet but am about to to get the masters re-sleeved
     with brass. They give you a life-time guarantee; it costs $50 each,
     plus shipping. Several other listers seem to be happy with them.

     Good luck,
     Jim Wallace
     "60 TR3 TS81417