Spit clutch pedal after bleeding

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit clutch pedal after bleeding
From: "J Schoonmaker" <Schoonmaker@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 97 22:51:28 UT
Howdy-

Having finished installing and reassembling the clutch master and slave
cylinders on our 79 Spit, and having attached tubing and playing bubbler at
the bleedoff until there were none, it was time to see if it still works as
well as it did before I took it all apart.  (the master had been slowly making
a mess of the floor).

        With everything cleared out in front of and behind the car (read
"confidence"), I started it up and put the pedal to the floor, and put it in
gear.  No grinding, no problem.  But as soon as I begin to release the pedal,
it's engaged, nearly fully.

        I'm curious as to how to be able to have pedal freeplay beyond the
depth of
the carpet pile again.  Is this what's referred to as one of those "binary
clutches"?

        Do I need to keep bleeding?  Shall I lower my collision deductable?
Shout
"fore" at every startup?  Ideas welcome.

        Thanks in advance.

Jim Schoonmaker
Manlius, NY  (like Cortland, no where near NYC)
79 Spitfire (32K original owner miles)