Hooking up my tach-wiring for electric tach

To: "'Charlie Brown'" <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Hooking up my tach-wiring for electric tach
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 03:43:05 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Charlie,

        Hey, how ya been?  (Aside from the strange threads that is).  I don't
know what gets in to some peoples heads these days.......

        Anyway, a couple of items you can probably help me with please:

        1.  I have finished the ignition/dizzy switchover. (ie Mallory dual
point, 40K volt coil, Crane system inside with proper shutter, etc.)  I now
have to hook up a new tach with an electronic feed as opposed to the gear drive
on the original.  The supplied diagram seems to show the three  blades on the
bach of the tach get hooked up as follows:

                                            ____  A

                                        I  B

                                            ____ C

        with A getting feed from points side of coil, B to ground and C getting
power from a switched source.  My question is in regards to this (C) switched
source.  Should I go off from the voltage stabilizer or from a full 12 volt
source (GREEN wire) ?

        The car has been running well enough, but on my way home from the Moss
motors meet in Solvang, CA two weekends ago (where the Spitfar took a second in
it's class, big surprise as it's the first "show" she has been entered in), my
traveling buddy in his 68 MKIII seemed to have much more top end than I.  True
he has a 1500 with a header, yet this was a marked difference and seems as
though I am just topping out.  We both have the Weber DGV and I am getting the
secondary to fully open.  My question is:  How do I go about determining the
proper advance adjustment with the Mallory ?  Is there something else more
obvious I am overlooking?

        Thanks for weathering these novice queries, I truly appreciate having a
source such as yourself and this list, and hope we don't get so off track with
the list that the true knowledge base leaves in disgust.  Hang in there, all
things come to pass !

Thanks again

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar