Re: Car Shows

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Car Shows
From: rick 72 TR6 <rick@vir.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:57:54 -0400 (edt)
>Triumphant ones,
>
>Have you ever noticed when you go to a car show how many 'experts'
>there are trying to impress their friends?
>
>I bring this up because I showed the Spit in a local Show/Cruise
>on Sunday, and some guy walked toward the car telling his buddy
>how he never really cared for the Asian cars. As he neared, he
>expanded it to include European cars as well. He then proceeded
>to tell his friend about the car. How it was mid-engined, to which
>I said, 'No, it is front engine.', and he said 'Oh it is one of the
>rare ones, huh?' I told him that none of the Spitfires were mid
>engined. He then asked if it was front wheel drive and I told him
>that they were all rear wheel drive. He then told me that a friend
>of him had a Fiat X1/9 Berton (sic), with a Yugo engine in it. I just
>shook my head and wondered how anyone can be so confused.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Doug Mitchell
>dmitchel@ismi.net
>dmitchel@ford.com
>'73 Triumph Spitfire

Greetings,

I used to attend car shows as a spectator. Now I own a TR6 and attended a
couple of shows this summer, my conclusion?: I'd rather drive on a sunny
sundays then stand around while Know-it-alls roll under the car to check
out the frame or tell his girlfriend in a confident tone that «British cars
going debate between showing and riding and I like meeting Triumph owners
willing to exchange info, but I'd rather we hop into our cars and ride'em!

Last sunday, a 75 TR6 with V6 Camaro power, electric windows, chromed
winshield frame, sculpted inner door panels and Miata seats won third place
at a local show... There was an original Carmine 74 right next to it that
looked just great (and mine, of course...hum...). I suspect the juges where
drunk!

I heard about British Invasion in Stowe in September and will attend, but I
wont catch any more of the big, 50's nostalgia, Hot Rod infested show with
Elvis blarring from the loudspeakers. See you on the roads!

rick