Re: Skirted thermostats (XK engines)

To: glite@eos.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Skirted thermostats (XK engines)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:56:01 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-05 08:40:15 EDT, glite@eos.net (George Leicht)
writes:

> Didn't Bob Schaller write some words of wisdom regarding skirted
>  thermostats and plugging the bypass on TR engines?

We had quite a long-running thread on that subject a while back.  I think it
was agreed that the skirted thermostat was the best solution to water flow.
 There were other solutions which partially solved the problem.  The problem
arises from the fact that non-skirted thermostats don't allow for bypass of
coolant and then closure of the bypass channel when the coolant reaches
operating temperature.  The TR original skirted thermostats did that but they
are hard as blazes to find.  What Jack Brooks was doing was attempting to see
if there was a substitute for the original thermostats.  He found that the
newly manufactured JAG one works well.  (BTW - Jack Brooks and I belong to
the NJ Triumph Assoc. and both of us saw the JAG thermo that Bruce Hoppe
brought to one of our meetings.  Jack took things farther by ordering one
himself, doing the testing and comparison to the original TR skirted
thermostat and then sharing it with the list).  As to whether we buy them -
that's up to us.

I also asked for some input to this problem about a month ago when I saw
several skirted thermostats at the local parts store.  They were for Volvo
and VW.  I asked:

a) if anyone with a TR skirted thermostat available could check it against
the thermos tats I had found or

b) if anyone had a TR skirted thermostat they could lend me so that I could
physically take it to the parts store and check it against the VW and Volvo
ones.

Sorry to say that the response to my message was underwhelming, so I dropped
it.

Cheers.

Art Kelly