Reverse gear gone in Spitfire ...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Reverse gear gone in Spitfire ...
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 17:22:26, -0500
-- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

All;

Reverse has made some nasty noises for a while on my car, I am have been
trying to baby it until this winter when a rebuild could happen.  Over
the weekend I had to use reverse and when I applied more power than
normal the tranny crunched and snapped out of gear.  Since then I have
to firmly hold the shift lever and slip the clutch gently to get any
rearward motion...

Ok, any ideas on what went in a trans to cause reverse to no longer stay
engaged.

I still plan to try and make this last until the fall, will this problem
affect the forward gears ? So far they work fine...

Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( never look back... or is it never back up ? )