Re: sandblasting

To: Triumphlist <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: sandblasting
From: Daniel Elder <GTE/sports6@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 19:23:32 -0700
Barry Warwick asked about sandblasting. Having done my own blasting on
the frame and body of my '64 Sports 6 here are a few ideas:
1) Use the blaster to diagnose the extent of rust. If there is a rusty
floor section, hit it with the blaster. If it all comes clean, great.
More likely is that you'll have holes. The extent will determine if you
patch or replace panels. (not blasting these may give a false idea that
you have only "surface rust".
2) Use a "pressurized" blaster as apposed to a "siphon feed" type. They
are faster by far. My bare frame required one VERY long day to conpletely
blast. With a siphon unit it would have been forever and a VERY long day!
3) Use a hood, coveralls, and a good respirator mask, as is used with
painting. If not, your lungs will be full of paint, rust, and silica none
of which is good.
4) Sand blasting to bare metal can be rewarding because you know exactly
what you have for metal when you are done. Having said that, it really is
miserable, hot, dirty work.
One comment on Jason Burden's brakes. a '78 Spit is nearly 20 years old.
I have learned by going thru the aggrivation of replacing brake
components one at a time that your best bet is complete brake overhaul.
The result is much better and safer. I'd advise rebuilding the master,
slaves, calipers and don't forget those flexible hoses. You won't believe
what good brakes your Spit has when all parts are in excellent order.
Dan Elder,
'65 Spitfire, '65 Sports 6, "64 Sports 6, '65 Herald (for sale)