Overheating Spits

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overheating Spits
From: Bob Hunt <huntr1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 21:01:45 -0700
Pardon my presumption, as I'm a newby to the list.

While my experience isn't with later model Spits, I've worked a few
overheating problems and the diagnosis cycle works as follows:

Getting heat out of the heater when it's turned on full?  Then the
waterpump is working fine.

Over heating continue when the thermostat is completely removed?  Then
it's not a thermostat problem.

Flushed the system and still having the problem?  Remove the radiator
and have the flow checked.  They can plug up in such a way that flushing
does not clear them.  Symptoms I've seen in the past include
unpredictable overheating that comes and goes for no apparent reason.
Some radiators can be 'rodded out' which will give you some additional
life.  Some will have to be rebuilt or replaced.

Let me know if I've been of help, or just rattling in the wind.

Bob Hunt
'66 Spit