LBC humour

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: LBC humour
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:20:04 +1200
Listers

I saw this in a local club magazine and thought it worth repeating...

A sheet of paper blew across my desk the other day and as I browsed through
it the realisation of a basic truth came to me. So simple! So obvious that
I could not see it.

Walter Canivien, chairman of an amateur radio group had discovered how
integrated circuits work. He revealed that smoke was one thing that made
IC's function because every time you let the smoke out of one it stops
working. Walter claims to have verified this fact through extensive
testing.

I was flabbergasted! Of Course! Smoke makes all things electrical work.
Remember the last time you let smoke escape from your generator? Stopped
working, didn't it? I sat back and smiled like an idiot (that's not very
difficult for me) as the realization dawned. It's the wiring harness that
carries the smoke from one electrical device to another. Whenever the
harness springs a leak and lets smoke out, various electrical devices stop
working all at once.

Feeling very smug by this time, I continued to elucidate this theory.
Starter motors which are very heavy users of smoke need such large
diameters of wire for this purpose. Why are Lucas electrics more prone to
leakage than say AC? Well now, Joseph Lucas was British, right? British
convertibles leak water. British sun roofs leak water. British engines leak
oil. British displacer units leak hydraulic fluid (ask any owner of a BMC
FWD). British tyres leak air. British Ministry of Defence leak secrets.
Naturally British Electrics leak smoke. Right! RIGHT!!

David Greed
1979 2500S

Email:greed@wave.co.nz                  (Home)
        sys_dwg@cmosaf.telecom.co.nz    (Work - AlphaStation)