FW: Re: Stuck Spark Plugs

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: Stuck Spark Plugs
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:33:19 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Egil Kvaleberg
<egilk@kvaleberg.no>]]

[Yes, I know I am WAY behind in cleaning up the manual mail that piled up while
 I was at VTR.   mjb.]

     Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 07:04:42 GMT
     From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@kvaleberg.no>
     Subject: Re: Stuck Spark Plugs

On 15 Jul 1997, M.A.Thomas wrote:

> BTW, I was warned off changing plugs with a hot engine while I owned a
> Beetle -- it can lead to cracking the head.

The Triumph head is steel - the extra risk of tread damage caused by heat
is much lower.

But I would definitely have tried the freezing approach first. To relieve
the pressure on the treads, the size of the plug really should be shrunk
(i.e. made colder). The freezer spray commonly used for fault finding in
electronics usually have a long extender tube - it should be no problem
directing that to the plug metal body. Keep the plug frozen for a while so
that the cold will reach down to the tread area. It would presumably help
if the engine is hot when doing this - the temperature differential would
be higher.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway