TR-6 Camshaft Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 Camshaft Problem
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 20:43:18 -0400
Fellow Scions,

I 've started to reassemble my TR6 engine after a tear-down to rebuild
the bottom end.  The block, crankshaft and rods were reworked [new
pistons (.020 over), mains (.010 over), big and small ends too].  The
cam lobes look fine (no pitting) and all measure within tolerance wrt
lift.  The journals diameters were within spec as well.

My problem:  excessive cam end float.

Upon reasseambly, I measure .018" of cam end float.  Bentley's states
that .004 - .008 is spec and that a new cam keeper should be used to
bring the float back within spec.  I neglected to buy a new keeper when
I purchased my other engine parts, however, I measure only .003" of wear
on the old keeper which will not bring the float back to within spec.  I
then examined the groove in the cam in which the keeper rides and
noticed that the while the rear most edge is perpendicular to the cam's
axis, the front edge is perpendicular for the same depth that the keeper
comes into contact with the cam and is beveled from this point down to
the depth of the cut.  Obviously, there has been some wear on the front
most edge of the cam's journal.

Does this mean a new cam is in order?  Any other suggestions would be
appreciated.

I thought everything was going together too well!

Thanks in advance,

Gary Klein
'75 TR6