Spitfire Oil Filter - Success!

To: "triumph" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Oil Filter - Success!
From: "M.A.Thomas" <mathomas@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:00:53 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Problem solved with expensive "spin on" oil filters.

I found a common filter for Fords ($3), Volkswagens (same filter, but $5),
etc. of the same dimensions as my standard filter ($15).  The threads were a
different size -- the Spitfire has a 5/8"-18 UNF thread while the
replacement has a 3/4"-16 UNF thread.  So, I replaced the nipple(?) between
the block and the filter by machining a piece of hex bar stock to the same
dimensions as the original piece (with the bigger threads!).

All done!  I only hope that my increase in oil pressure (80psi vs. 60 psi
from before) is due to replacing 10W30 oil with 20W50, and not because I
screwed something up with a different filter!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question.

Mike Thomas
75 Spitfire