Re: Stuck Engine -- WHY?

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Engine -- WHY?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:17:51 +0600 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Gregory Petrolati wrote:

>       The old restorers trick was coca cola down tthe bores...

I once had a situation where I'd left a TR3A stored outside for only about
two years. The engine set up as has Perry's. We tried virtually every
chemical or other trick known to humankind to free up that sucker:
Coca-Cola [tm], kerosene, penetrating oils, ritualistic chicken
sacrifices, towing/popping the clutch (I've still got the flat-spotted
tires to prove the UNsuccess of that), etc.

In short, nothing worked. :-(

I've also noticed this on several other wet-liner TR engines. OTOH, I've
seldom experienced it on the Herald-based engines (either 4 or 6 cylinder
versions), even with engines that have sat relatively unprotected for 10
years or more.

Is there any metallurgical or other reason that one type of engine would
tend to set up and the other wouldn't?

Inquiring minds....

--Andy