Restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Restoration
From: "Karl F. Rau" <krau@ns.pivot.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 19:23:38 -0400
My first time...talking to you guys that is!! I'm an ex-'74 tr6 owner
and have gotten the bug again. I have found a '69 that has been in a
barn untouched for 12 years... I haven't been able to convince the lady
owner to sell it yet, but am working on it. In brief...42,000 miles,
very little rust, completely original, no electrical changes, needs top,
maybe paint, carpets and normal wear items...when the car was backed
into the barn, it was running perfectly according to the owner. Has seen
only one winter ever. The only obvious problem is sitting for all these
years...the clutch seems frozen to the flywheel.
I have more questions than most would want to read... but can anyone
address the typical problems that I am going to run into (mechanically)
and "brief" solutions if that's possible. Price is like a blind date
it's all relative, but what should I pay for this car without getting
into a resto job that makes the car cost typically more than it's worth,
I believe in driving cars not just making them a 100 pointer. I have
owned 6 sports cars in my day and am relatively mechanical..but...
Thanks for your pointers and help in advance and glad to be part of the
group!
Would anyone recommend a book title that would be the best help in this
endeavor.
Perhaps I should find a good driver instead!

Karl Rau
ex '74 TR 6
South China, Maine