TR4 electrics

To: larkink@ohsu.EDU
Subject: TR4 electrics
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Collective Wisdoms <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Kay Larkin wrote:
-------
hello list, i just bought a tr4 this week after gaining much insight into
the world of triumphs from this list and the vtr web page. in fact, i
found the car in the vtr classifieds. it's a '63 that runs quite well,
but, of course, there're a few weird things.
-------

They're not weird, they're normal!  Everything else is weird ;-)

-------
it's got a new wiring harness that i helped install and now some of the
lights don't work. here's the odd part, when i attach the little light
bulb to the ammeter it lights, then when i turn on the lights it goes
out. none of the other instrument lights ever come on, nor the
leadlights, taillights, brakelights, turn signals, or wiper. however,
the parking lights and plate lights do come on when turned on. there's
even 12 volts getting to the headlight wires when i turn them 'on'. any
ideas?
-------

How are you connecting a light bulb to the ammeter?  Is this the bulb
that backlights the bulb when the headlights are on, or a test probe?

The headlights are not on the same circut as wipers, et al.  They're
unfused.  The first place to check is the fuse block.  Fuses only blow if
there is a reason, so if one's blown, be careful!  There's a short
circuit somewhere.

I had similar problems with my TR4 (1962).  I checked for continuity with
the battery disconnected, using a multimeter.  I had a direct connection
to ground from the accessory side of the fuse block.  The bad circuit can
be isolated by pulling off one wire at a time (or pulling them all off
and putting back one at a time)

If you have a wiring diagram, consult it!  If you don't have one, get one!

I found it easiest to have a diagram in front of me, and find all the
pieces that looked confusing, then traced the wires that connected the
components.

My problem was a short-circuiting fuel gauge (my fault, I put it together
wrong %-)

-Malcolm

PS also be sure that things that have a wire-ground ie. not bolted to
chassis, as the parking lights are, have got a good ground connection.

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.