Underseal and steam cleaning

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Underseal and steam cleaning
From: Giles Nelson <Giles.Nelson@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:22:01 +0100
Hello there.

The summer is moving on here in the UK and soon the weather will start
deteriorating. I want to weather-proof my TR6 before the damp sets in.

I've owned the car about 18 months now and it does have some rust-proofing,
around the wheel arches. The chassis also looks as if it has been
rust-proofed, although many years ago. Parts of the chassis are bare though,
and obviously rusting, so it is important the job is done.

What do people recommend? Should all the old underseal be
removed? Is steam cleaning a good idea to remove all the old grime and enable
a full inspection? Will steam cleaning just introduce more water and add to any
rust problems? Should cavities between body panels be treated too?

Due to the lack of facilities and time at the moment I will probably
get the work done professionally but obviously I would like to know what's
involved.

Looking forward to any insights.

Giles.