Re: Follow up on Spit hesitation - fixed

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Follow up on Spit hesitation - fixed
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:53:44 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe Whalley wrote:
> the needle than extends into the carb below the diaphragm had a coating of
> white "stuff" on it, that came off easily with a fingernail. I think this junk
> was binding the needle. Any ideas on where it comes from, and how to prevent
> it?

  Was your dashpot leaking? Was it filled with something bizarre like
brake fluid or ATF?

  It might be the dashpot slowly leaking and whatever is in there
crystallizing on the way down. Oil won't do that, but who knows
what the dashpot may have contained.

> I emptied and refilled the dashpot with engine oil, how do you know the
> correct amount? I added nough to feel resistance when I inserted the piston,
> seem to remember reading this somewhere.

  Fill it until you feel resistance when the space between
the top of the pot and the bottom of the screw cap is "spec". The
spec depends on the model, but a quarter inch is the
spec for my ZS equipped 75. So when topped up right, I can
see 1/4 inch of "plunger rod" when I feel resistance. Then
make sure and stick your finger in the carb, lift the
piston, and clip the piston cup down in the hole.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada