Re: In defense of ZS carbs (webers legal?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: In defense of ZS carbs (webers legal?)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:26:31 -0700
Jim Ruwaldt writes:
>By the way, the Moss catalogue makes a note that changing the emissions
>system is illegal.  That's quite understandable, but it implies that
>replacing your fuel system with something more powerful is in itself
>illegal.  Is that only true if the change makes your car fail emissions
>testing, in which case you wouldn't be able to register it?
****************************
First off, one carb is not dirtier than another.  Any new carb SIZED
correctly, properly adjusted on a particular engine will give you the same
or very similar readings.  All a carburetor does is provide a fuel air
ratio for a given air flow using the venturi principle.  Having said that
some carbs are better at controlling this ratio at transition points, from
idle to mid, mid to cruise and full power than others.  The ONLY reason
that it is illegal to use a particular carb on your engine is because it is
not *approved* and I use the term loosely.  This doesn’t mean they run less
cleanly than the carb that came on the car, it just means that it isn't
*certified* (read costly and time consuming) for emission use by the
manufacturer.  Many times a newer, properly adjusted Weber, be it DGV, or
DCOE will give BETTER results at the tailpipe than a worn out original ZS
or SU.  This is (sorry, soapbox mode on) one of my BIGGEST complaints with
the current smog testing rules here in California.  If it were TRULY for
clean air than ALL that would matter would be the tail pipe sniff.  If that
met or exceeded the spec's for the particular year and engine in the car,
you shouldn't need to even look under the hood should you? (soapbox off)

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )