Re: In defense of ZS carbs (webers legal?)

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: In defense of ZS carbs (webers legal?)
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:29:36 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James-

I think it might be harder than you think to aquire all the parts
necessary to convert a car to "original" PI spec. -- I know the
folks in Endland won't part with PI manifolds or control units
without an exchange...

Do Canadian spec TR's have PI ? I know the stuff shows up in the TRF
cats but is it really available? Just to buy it outright without an
exchange?

 I've thought that the hot set up would be to use the PI
manifolds and adapt them to EFI... parts for any modern 6cyl ought to
work nicely. There is a website listed on the SOL website with
exactly this info... I think they want $1600 for a EFI complete set
up..

PS: I just did my emissions check this past Saturday and I passed
Hydrocarbons by a factor of 5! With worn original SU's...

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Barry Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Jim Ruwaldt writes:
> > >By the way, the Moss catalogue makes a note that changing the emissions
> > >system is illegal.  That's quite understandable, but it implies that
> > >replacing your fuel system with something more powerful is in itself
> > >illegal.  Is that only true if the change makes your car fail emissions
> > >testing, in which case you wouldn't be able to register it?
> > ****************************
> > First off, one carb is not dirtier than another.  Any new carb SIZED
> > correctly, properly adjusted on a particular engine will give you the same
> > or very similar readings.  All a carburetor does is provide a fuel air
> > ratio for a given air flow using the venturi principle.  Having said that
> > some carbs are better at controlling this ratio at transition points, from
> > idle to mid, mid to cruise and full power than others.  The ONLY reason
> > that it is illegal to use a particular carb on your engine is because it is
> > not *approved* and I use the term loosely.  This doesn't mean they run less
> > cleanly than the carb that came on the car, it just means that it isn't
> > *certified* (read costly and time consuming) for emission use by the
> > manufacturer.  Many times a newer, properly adjusted Weber, be it DGV, or
> > DCOE will give BETTER results at the tailpipe than a worn out original ZS
> > or SU.  This is (sorry, soapbox mode on) one of my BIGGEST complaints with
> > the current smog testing rules here in California.  If it were TRULY for
> > clean air than ALL that would matter would be the tail pipe sniff.  If that
> > met or exceeded the spec's for the particular year and engine in the car,
> > you shouldn't need to even look under the hood should you? (soapbox off)
>

> > Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA
> >
> > Bschwartz@encad.com
> > 72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
> > 70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
> > 70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
> > 73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )
> >
> Excellent points, Barry.  They really should just check the emissions.
> Then, if the exhaust doesn't pass, they should look under the hood and
> check what you should have to clean up your car.  However, one thing
> which that doesn't address, is that emissions controls are after more than
> just tailpipe emissions.  Why else would there be a breather hose on the
> valve cover, and why don't gas tanks vent into the air anymore?  Because
> those are important areas of emissions.  Therefore, there should be a
> check for the emissions equipment.  However, I agree, tailpipe emissions
> shouldn't be subject to equipment checks.
> Now for an unrelated concern that's been bothering me lately.  Why does
> everyone go hog wild over the "let's go Webers" conversion?  Not all the
> parts are available, but my impression from studying TRF catalogue is that
> a fuel injection conversion would be cheaper.  While Webers run $900 or
> more apiece, FI seems to be about $1,300.  Even if the missing parts run
> [...]

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV