Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:13:21 -0400
Cc: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Just my two cents on this one...

David Massey wrote:

> And it wasn't the carburetors that caused the power loss but
> the lower compression ratio and other internal de-tuning tricks
> the auto makers resorted to to meet the requirements.  How many
> times has someone decided to "get rid of all this smog junk and
> get back all the original power" and proceed to rip out the smog
> pump, the EGR, the PCV, and everything else he doesn't understand
> and find out that not only does the car not have any more power
> but the drivability has also suffered.

I agree that the overall de-tuning has a detrimental effect, but you
can't tell me that the smog equipment is not the major culprit in the
loss of power department.  I have quantifiable "seat of the pants"
evidence to prove it's so!  Granted, perhaps the cat was slightly
plugged, or the PCV stuck or something, but when I ripped the smog crap
out of my BMW Alpina it was MUCH more powerful.

If smog junk had any positive effect, wouldn't race cars use them?

John (Its all in the breathing) Suchak