Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Back to LBC's...Z-S
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:46:16 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:
> I find that the emissions control stuff
> clutter the engine bay, and add a degree of complexity to the car
> that is out of character with our simple-yet-rugged TRs.

  How can it be out of character if that is the way they
came from the dealer?

> One question.  I do not understand why removel of the EGR
> valve would cause a car to run worse, as your note indicates

  It was actually not my note, but I will answer.

  Two main reasons. One is that people who can't figure
out smog hoses tend not to understand everything about
overall vehicle performance. Simply "ripping stuff off
the car" is usually not going to be the best way to
improve a car. The car is designed as a whole, with
many parts interacting. Take some away, and what you
get isn't what you might think.

  The other is that not all changes are for emissions. It
is silly to think that the car was perfect in 1960 and
went downhill from there. Many of those so called "smog
hoses" are actually designed for milder manners, better
all around consistent performance, ability to adapt
to different conditions and still run, and so on. Still
others are harmless emissions devices that don't cost
performance (such as evaporative emissions).

  It may seem romantic to be running "the bare engine". But
so many people pull off the stuff they think is
for smog and then when their car runs roughly, still
blame it on the smog gear somehow.

  Some people may consider it sissy, but smooth idle
was one of the goals of British Designers to make
the cars more sellable at the prices they were
forced to ask to compete.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada