tr6 air cleaner housing

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 air cleaner housing
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:21:35 -0600
Today's question concerns a topic sorta discussed within the last year,
perhaps indirectly.

I have recently rebuilt my carbs (with huge help from several listers -
thanks again!) and would liek to complete the carb side of the engine by
painting my somewhat scratched up air cleaner housing (stock 76 TR6).
Original color is a shade of silver which looks reasonably close to the
silver used on my (also stock) steel wheels. (Note this is for the later
TR6 which had a light silver as opposed to the early models which had a
dark silver or even grey metallic). I think the previous discussion I
alluded to concerned the correct color for the steel wheels not the air
cleaner.

I wonder what is the closest match for this light silver color? And
should I use a heat resistant (engine block) paint or is regualr paint
ok at this point? I used a hight temp clear coat on my carbs and wonder
if engine heat may extend to the air cleaner assembly.

Also, what would fellow listers with experience recommend to strip the
old paint off? I have no bead blasting setup and would prefer something
I could do at home (my dad's home actually).

Any info greatly appreciated as usual.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada