Fun with ammeters...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fun with ammeters...
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:43:55 EST
Ok, Ken gave an excellent description of ammeter behavior with an
alternator equiped car...how about a generator equipped car?

My Mk.IV Spit doesn't have an ammeter for me to watch...but the
battery never went dead, even after I added the electric fan. (Sure
didn't feel like 18HP... ;>)

Now my TR4A, (which has a generator and an ammeter) provides me with
a bunches of entertainment. At a high idle- 1200rpm - anything but
the ignition system puts it in to the( -) side. On a cool evening
using every piece of electrical equipment on the car - Lights, heater
fan, turn signal, brake lights, radio - that sucker is waaay down at
stop lights, but it comes right up once you're moving. Basically the
needle is jumping all over the place all the time. Disconcerting at
first but very consistant.

The battery never seems low (it's a BIG ol' Diehard)...if I hook
up the charger it takes few amps for a few minutes...then the charger
says "all done" and shuts off....

I'm basically a DFIIIAB kinda guy --- could the TR234 folks enlighten
us as to the behavior of their ammeters?
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press
Tel:609 258 4900