RE: Front Suspension Trunnions

To: Alan.McEachran@anixter.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Front Suspension Trunnions
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 9:43:13 -0500
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com )
Alan wrote:
<snip>
 " I cannot get the bolt to move at all.  Have tried penetrating
oils, heat and big time pounding.  No luck."
**********************************
    At one of our club workdays rebuilding a spit front end we came across
the same problem. No amount of hammering, cussing, beer drinking, etc. would
get that bolt to budge. It had become one with the steel bushing it ran
through. We removed it by putting a cutting wheel on a pnuematic drill and
cut the bolt on both sides of the bushing.
*********************************
"There is something that seems to be a bit weird though.  On the spring
there
are two little metal blocks that are wedged into to spring and set near the
bottom spring mount (what the heck are these things?).  My guess is that
these
are used to stiffen the spring and give a stiffer suspension.  When I try to

move the spring to take the tension off of the suspension it moves about a
1/4"  before stopping.  Any further jacking results in the car lifting, not
the
suspension link.  I have a sneaking feeling that these blocks are not
allowing
me to take the tension off the link.  Thus the trunnion bolt is still under
stress and won't budge.  I'm going to try to remove these blocks again, but
they are set in really well. probably before the spring was installed.  Then

try the trunnion bolt.
Any other suggestions or recommedations that have worked for you trunnion
bolt bashers? I'm always willing to learn the correct technique after
goofing around for hours!"
   If I understand you right you do not have the spring removed from the car?
 You really need to have the spring and shocks out of there before you
remove those bolts. You can get a VW type spring compressor cheap and place
it on the spring when the car is down on the tires. Then as you jack it up
the spring should stay compressed enough top slip it and the shock out. Note
: place the compressor as close to the opposing ends as possible as even the
last turn oif the spring can expand an inch.
  With the spring removed you should not have any load on the bolts and the
might come out without cutting them.
  Also if you had those funky twist in spacers in the springs I would bite
the bullet and replace the springs.
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
Austin, TX