Re: front hub grease caps - GT6

To: Keith Ickes <kickes@lucerne.IR.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: Re: front hub grease caps - GT6
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:56:36 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Keith Ickes wrote:

> For those of you more experienced than I - is there any better grease cap for
> the front hubs than the stock model for GT6's?  In working on the front wheel
> assembly, I've had the aps on and off several times and by now they are a
>mess.
> Is there an alternative that will work? Is there a "trick" to removing them
>that
> I am missing?
>
>                                 Keith Ickes
>                                 Fort Collins, Colorado

I had a similar problem on my Spit a few months back. You can check the
past threads if you want the full story. In a nut shell, you have two
options. Either weld a nut on the inside of the cap or epoxy a nut on
the inside. I welded mine but next time will opt for epoxy such as JB
Weld. With the nut on the inside, the bolt has firm material to grasp
and the cap comes off easily and is not damaged in the slightest.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario