Re: Silicone brake fluid

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Silicone brake fluid
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:49:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> [DOT 5.1] seems to have all the pros of DOT 4 and 5,
> with none of the cons....  It still eats paint
> unfortunately.

Shane,

  First, thanks for the kudos on the VTR WWW brake
fluids article.
  http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-fluids.html

 However, for many people on this list, the major
reason that they use DOT5 is because it doesn't
eat paint.  For these folks, this quality of
DOT 5.1 (eating paint) is a *major* con!

  As we've discussed before on this list, different
people use their Triumphs differently, and thus
different brake fluids are best for them.
DOT 5.1 is clearly right for you; I use DOT 4;
and a lot of enthusiasts use DOT5 for its
manners with respect to their paint.  There are
probably a few people out there using DOT3, too.

  Thanks for providing your experiences with DOT5.1
to help all of us enthusiasts decide what brake
fluid best suits our needs!

--ken

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com