EGR Valves

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: EGR Valves
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:15:07 -0400
Shane Ingate in San Diego writes:

>but dont follow the argument that removal of the EGR will not be
>benefical for good running.  Could someone enlighten me please?

>       Thanks in advance,

>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

The function of the EGR valve is to dilute the intake air/fuel
mixture and lower the compustion temperatures at moderate throttle
settings which lowers the production of oxides of nitrogen.

One beneficial side effect is to reduce pinging by the same said
reduction of combustion temperatures.  Also note that since the
valve is operated by engine vacuum it closes at WOT (wide open
throttle) and does not impare the maximum performance of the engine.

Dave Massey