Re: Z-S PART 2

To: david r simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Subject: Re: Z-S PART 2
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:17:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
david r simpson wrote:

> To list
>
> All this talk about Z-S, has make me think a little bit more about how these
> "Constant
> Depression" carbs work  (thinking again this could be dangerous).  Since
> these carbs
> regulate the the air/fuel mixture by the vacuum (draft) through the throat.
> Would these
> carbs not be affected by elevation changes?   Since less dense air would
> create less lift
> on the damper ie: needle lift.  I am assuming the air at different
> elevations contains
> the same percentage of oxygen.  Anyone care to expland on this theory?  Or
> just plain set
> me straight.
>
> Dave Simpson
> NE Ohio
>  you know what you do when you assume
>  you make an "ass" out of yo"u" and "me"
>  Sorry but I couldn't resist

Dave, Dave, Dave

The air at altitude does not have the same amount of 02 present. Think
about it. Why do you suppose that folks get altitude sickness and fighter
jet pilots wear oxygen masks. Air pressure and 02 content decrease as
altitude increases. All carburated engines suffer at altitudes, less
dense air with less 02 content means a richer mixture and poor
perrformance. As a pilot myself I have been made very aware of this. Gas
powered airpalnes have a mixture control as well as a throtle. As one
climbs to higher altitudses one decreases fuel in the mixture to maintain
poerformance and a correct air fuel mixture.

Deano