BOYCOTT ELECTRIC FANS - SOMETHING FRESH

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: BOYCOTT ELECTRIC FANS - SOMETHING FRESH
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:56:45 -0700
All this debate on cooling fans...

I feel a need to say something.

I did the electric fan thing on a TR 4A long ago...  Never again.  It's
just another thing to go wrong... It's a drain on the already old and
wimpy generator-charged system... It can potentially lead to dead
batteries!

You will note that many mention that their car stays cool just fine with
a completely stock system.  Which is the way it should be...

And there are those that will probably flame me, as I have been in the
past, for suggesting remedies for cooling (other than a stock system) as
they argue, that whatever is causing the over-heating should be
REPAIRED...

But lets be real here.  Some people's motors are just tired, but diving
into a rebuild is not always an option.  And some people deal with
different driving conditions and different weather patterns.

this said...

If you're overheating, WHY does the answer have to be an electric fan?

It was pointed out that the HP gains aren't significant to the daily
drivers here.  So this shouldn't even be an issue.

So I say, keep the motor driven fan.  Forget adding an electric fan.

So what can you do?  The following may or may not apply to YOUR Triumph:

a.  Add an oil cooler  (a factory style one if you're a purist!).

b.  Improve the duct work on the front of the radiator.  Seal up the
bottom area of your radiator.  Air will travel where there is the least
resistance... so make sure it has to go through the radiator.

c.  You could be creative and shroud the engine driven fan (back side of
the radiator)

d.  Check your spark plugs... maybe you could enrichen your carbs a bit?

e.  Use the product "WATER WETTER" made by REDLINE.  This stuff WORKS!!!

f.  Pay that $25.00 and get that skirted thermostat (if this applies to
your car)

g.  I'd call the following suggestion criminal... but maybe you'd be
forgiven if you really do a good job of it and duplicate what was done
to the Works cars of the 60's...  add cooling ducts to the wings... (I'm
thinking of the TR 4/4A/5/250/6 here.

h.  During the summer, make a little duct that diverts your car heater's
air through the jack holes in the floor... or through the trans cover
and under the car, etc....  and then just turn your heater on when the
car is running warm... or just leave the heater on all summer. (your
heater's radiator will appreciate the fresh flow!)

i.  Install a better engine driven fan.  (i.e. use the later plastic fan
on the TR 3 through 4A..)

j.   Wrap your exhaust manifold with that new heat-wrap stuff.  That
should help keep the engine bay cooler.  I hear it will shorten the life
of the exhaust manifold.  Does this matter to you?

k.  I'll add this one so that I don't get too flamed:  check your ENTIRE
cooling system for problems... leaks, failing radiator cap, clogged
radiator, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Anyways... I'm sure you can all think of other things that could be
done.  My point here is that the electric fan may just put a strain on
your old charging equipment and it also is adding something that can
break down.   The above suggestions generally don't break down... don't
add a problem... and, for the most part, can be changed back to original
if you or a future owner decides to become a purist or want to try
something different!

Justin
jmwagner@greenheart.com
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner