Re:

To: "Van S. Griffin" <van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re:
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:53:03 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Van S. Griffin wrote:

> Scions,
>         On the calculation of wasted horsepower for the turning fan in
> Triumph, while it is a whiny detail, the fan when in a moving vehicle,
> sees an already flowing mass of air.  This should reduce the 20 odd
> horses
> that was predicted to unnecessarily load the engine.
>
>         There was also a questions on the constant depression ZS carbs
> and
> altitude change effects on the engine/carbs.  As mentioned before the
> amount of oxygen would be less, yet the relative percentages, I
> thought, would have to be very similar here in the living and driving
> altitudes.  Is the ratio of nitrogen to oxygen (most of the stuff
> sucked
> into the engine) a function heavily influenced by altitude?  Wouldn't
> the
> Umph relocated say from Florida to Colorado need to be leaned out?
> But
> what about the less dense air, I keep getting the vision of a
> manometer
> and does it make a good analogy to what is going on?  I am by no means
> carb bard.                              No sig file, Van
You are quite right about leaning the carbs at higher altitudes.  If
you  set your fuel mixture at or near sealevel and drive to an altitude
of say 5280 ft(altitude at Denver Colo.) You will probably have problems
starting your car.  You will probably flood the engine trying to start
it.  Because the air is "rarified"(less oxygen) and you are running an
over rich a/f mix.  It happens all the time to older non-computer
controlled vehicles.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston