Degree a CAM/Timing an Engine - Help!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Degree a CAM/Timing an Engine - Help!
From: Mike Brinker <mbrinker@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:21:13 -0400
I am reassembling my TR6 motor.  I have a reground cam that I am using
im my motor with new pistons.  I have dots marked on the crank sprocket,
block, camshaft and cam sprocket.  I have tried to line up all of the
dots but found that if the #1 piston is at TDC, I can not get them to
line up perfectly.  I am concerned about this.  I have also talked to a
friend  who has rebuilt his motor and he lined up the dots set his #1 at
TDC and his motor was not timed correctly.  He had to use a degree
wheel.  My friend is not availalbe to help me (on vacation) and I need
to get this motor back together. Can someone explain this process?  How
difficult is it?  What tools are needed?  How long does it take?  Help!

Mike Brinker