Speedo Non-operative

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedo Non-operative
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:36:40 -0400
My speedometer works sometimes (mostly not) and jumps around when it
does work. I took the speedo out and ran it with a drill and it works
fine (right up to 100 mph, the fastest it will ever go). I then raised
the car off the ground and ran it in gear. I could hold on to the centre
cable by poking my finger into the speedo end of the cable. Since the
cable would stop moving, I suspect that the right angle drive on the
gearbox (with O/D) is bust. I haven't had the tranny cover off yet to
check it. Is the drive a toothed gear or is it a rubber wheel running on
a disk?

Vic Whitmore
76 Triumph Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario