Re: My last shot...

To: Jason Burden <jason@clinic.net>
Subject: Re: My last shot...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:26:53 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Jason Burden wrote:

> I am at my wits end with my overheating issue. I have a 79 spitfire. Is
> there any way (im a novice so be easy on me) to visually see or find out if
> my head gasket is bad, or the head is actually warped? Local experts (lol)
> seem to be pointing the finger in that direction.

Several thoughts come to mind regarding the gasket:

1. presence of oil in coolant (not hard to spot if significant)
2. presence of coolant in oil (very easy to spot, as oil eventually takes
on the look of a chocolate malt or milkshake)
3. leakage around head gasket, especially coolant
4. presence of lots and lots of white smoke in exhaust, meaning coolant is
getting into combustion chamber
5. coolant disappearing from system but not appearing to be leaking
anywhere obvious (likely to result in #2 or #4 above)

Of course, I suppose any of these could also result from a warped head,
which is probably best checked by a machine shop, who could then plane it
for you.

My thoughts....

--Andy