RE: My last shot...

To: "'Jason Burden'" <jason@clinic.net>
Subject: RE: My last shot...
From: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:23:54 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Here's an easy diagnosis...
If the coolant water is leaking thru the headgasket into a combustion
chamber, the spark plug in that chamber will be VERY clean.  Pull the
plugs after a drive and check the plugs.  If one is noticeably cleaner,
that's leaking headgasket evidence.  At that point (engine hot) you can
leave the plugs out and see if you notice steam coming from the plug
hole as water drips into the cylinder.  Using a flashlight, you may be
able to see the water.

I know it's frustrating to take the plunge to pull the head if you're
not 100% sure... But take heart, the head will probably be ok and you
just need a new gasket!  Have a shop check for warpage anyway.  I'd be
tempted since the head is off to have the valves and guides checked
also..

Clark