RE: Help with new tranny cover

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Help with new tranny cover
From: "Georgas, Bill" <Bill.Georgas@mci.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:33:53 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Sirmoog,

All in all, it's a pretty simple procedure, but hard to implement.

The tranny cover is secured along it's edges directly into the floor
pans and front bulkhead (Actually, if I remember correctly there are a
number of flanges on the front bulkhead.  There's probably a correct
name for this, but your floor pans and front bulkhead flanges will
(should) have the nuts welded on already.  You'll want to do a lot of
test fitting, and then drill holes in the trans cover to match up with
the nuts on the flanges and pans.  I think I'd start at the front, and
then work my way back.  When I did this, it was a real bear to get all
the holes to line up.  I would expect you'll have to drill the holes,
and then probably elongate some of them to complete the fitting
(fitment, :-)   ).

After you have the cover fitting pretty well, I'd then go back and
install the seals (you'll have to punch holes in it too!), and the other
fittings.  The curved pieces of metal should be installed along the edge
of the tranny cover in order to match the curve on the plastic.  Then
add the washer and the bolt.  BTW, you may want the car up on
ramps/jackstands, it's much easier to put the seals in place, and adjust
them as you tighten the cover down.

The job itself is not technically difficult, but it takes time, can be
_very_ frustrating, and you'll probably bang up your hands a bit
(besides contorting your body to fit into the footwells).  It took me
three or four hours in total, and I took a bunch of breaks in between.
An extra set of hands would be very helpful.

I hope you can follow my ramblings, if you need any clarification,
please let me know, and Good Luck!

Bill
'72 TR6