Re: Speaking of diffs.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Speaking of diffs.
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:11:35 -0700
Chuck S. writes:

>I need to take the plunge and replace or rebuild the diff. on my 72 MKIV.
>>With this car being the wife's daily driver, It can't be up on jack stands
>any longer than necessary.
          <  snip  >
>If I buy a rebuilt one, All I have to do is the swap.
>My haynes manual say the stock ratio is 4.11
>Is there a problem dropping in a 3.89? my logic says it should give me a
>little lower rpms at the same road speed.
****************************
Chuck,
This is your only option given the time frame you have.  Actually most of
the work is getting the thing out of there.  It will bolt right in and will
lower the rpm by around 220 at 65 mph.  It will also alter your spedometer
readings so your spedometer won't be accurate.  Your still looking at a
good days, nasty work - One advantage is that you will have a diff that you
can now rebuild (your old one) and have ready for the next time.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )