Trunk panels sealing goop

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Trunk panels sealing goop
From: GLENN BOWLEY <gbowley@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:26:42 -0400
Hello all-

I was wondering if anybody knows what the "goop" is that's used to seal the
seams of the trunk of my '75 Spitfire?
I believe the PO had a fuel leak in the tank, that caused the aforementioned
"goop" to become very soft. While cleaning up years of residue, dirt, sand, and
unused emissions stuff, I began wiping out most of this softened stuff. Now I
have about half of the trunk without any sealant in the seams.

My question is what is this stuff, and (more importantly) what do I re-caulk
the seams with? I'd like to put this stuff back-in prior to re-painting the
inside of the trunk.

Glenn Bowley in Mansfield, CT
gbowley@snet.net

'75 Spit (ready to get caulked)