RE: Serious Generator/Alternator Question

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Warren.Allen@infores.com'" <Warren.Allen@infores.com>
Subject: RE: Serious Generator/Alternator Question
From: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:33:06 -0400
Yes, increased load takes more power from your engine, otherwise we
could hook your TR3A to the New York power grid to prevent brownouts...
perhaps a slight exageration...

A generator is like a electric motor backwards.  A 1 horsepower motor
takes say (these numbers aren't right) 10 amps to run, a 2 takes 20,
neglecting other losses.  Power in + losses = power out  etc, etc,
QED....

As for your AC, you're AC works harder as the air supplied to the
evaporator is diluted by warm air passing thru your heater core (as it
does when you choose the defrost option where your AC is used to remove
humidity from the heated air used to defrost/defog your windows).  If
you want to increase your in-car temperature and get better mileage and
you happen to be running the AC Fan faster than low, turn the fan down
and not raise the temperature dial.  The AC unit runs a thermostat at
the evaporater (cold radiator) and tryes to maintain a source of cooling
for you.  If you blow less air thru the evaporator, it won't need to
compress the freon so often/much to keep up.

Perhaps a little confusing still??

Clark