Serious Generator/Alternator Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Serious Generator/Alternator Question
From: Warren.Allen@infores.com (Warren Allen)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:38:11 -0500
          Fellow Scions,

          The recent cooling fan/generator/alternator thread brought
          back a question that I have wondered about for years:  Does
          increasing electrical load really result in increased load
          on a generator/alternator, and therefore in increased gas
          mileage?  Please hear me out before you answer, not because
          I'm right, but because I want a specific question answered.
          My argument is strictly intuitive, as I have no formal
          electrical education.  Here goes: A generator consists of an
          armature (a metal shaft covered with wires) rotating between
          two magnets.  There's no physical contact (other than
          brushes).  How, therefore, can increased load make the
          armature harder to rotate?  My intuition has always told me
          that a certain amount of electricity will be produced by
          this arrangement, and any excess beyond what's needed is
          (forgive me, this is all intuitive) bled off somehow, by
          sending it to ground.

          Related question:  When I have my air conditioning on in the
          car, and I turn the temperature dial towards warmer, does
          the A/C compressor therefore start working less hard, and my
          gas mileage goes up, or does the compressor work just as
          hard, but the cool air get mixed with warm uncooled air in
          order to warm the air coming out of the vent?

          I somebody can explain this in simple terms, I would
          appreciate it. You will have cleared up one of the mysteries
          of the universe for me.

          Warren Allen
          1960 TR3A (And no, it doesn't have A/C.  That question
          concerns a BAC (Big American Car.)