Spit Spin-on Oil Filters

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit Spin-on Oil Filters
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:22:07 -0400
A few weeks ago this topic was on the thread and suggestions were
offerred that the Purolator PER64 and Fram PH922A would fit the spin-on
adapter from the old 5/8" -18 UNF threads to 3/4" -16 UNF threads. A
Ford FL1 was also recommended. For us Canadians, I did some
investigation at our favourite parts supplier, Canadian Tire. Actually,
my son, Warren, who works part time at the parts counter did all the
work.
The Fram PH922A had no references but the PER64 crossed to 3 filters.
The one that fits the best is common to Volkswagen and is the cheapest.
It goes by the Canadian Tire number of 17-1853-6 and also is labelled
with the Fram number PH2870A (they make Cdn Tire filters). At $3.69, it
is a lot cheaper than many others and very readily available.
I put one on last night and it fits like a charm. Only one thing to
watch for. The adapter should be taken out of the block and screwed into
the filter. Otherwise, you could end up with only a couple of threads
holding the filter.
The Ford FL1 filter is wider and could be a problem by contacting the
alternator mount.