Re: Squealing Generator

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Squealing Generator
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:52:58 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Greetings, Scions.........
>
> I noticed this weekend a squealing noise from under the bonnet of my Mk I
> Spitfire and determined that my freshly rebuilt generator with less than
> 1,000 miles on it is getting noisy.  I checked the pulley and there is no
> noticeable run out or free play, belt tension seems to be fine, but there
> is definitely a continuous moderately loud squeal from the unit.  Is it
> possible that it has a bad internal bearing?  Having simply shipped my old
> unit as an exchange, I never bothered to open it up and I don't know if
> there is a way to easily check the internal bearings..
>
> I suppose I could simply pull down my Haynes, Bentley and Autopress manuals
> tonight and review them, but heck, it's more fun banging out an e-mail to
> y'all for some good old fashioned jawboning, isn't it?  Hey, if we're
> lucky, maybe this will start a lengthy heated thread on the merits of white
> grease versus axle grease for lubricating generator bearings, just like the
> last thread on electric cooling fans (aw, c'mon now, lighten up, I'm just
> kidding.)
> TIA,
>
> Ross D. Vincenti
> Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty..
> Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept..
> Los Angeles, CA 90015
> (213) 742-4756 phone
> (213) 741-7231 or 741-6945 fax
> ross.vincenti@transamerica.com
> 64 Spitfire 4
> 64 Porsche 356C Coupe

Here is an old mechanics trick. Find a long stick (or screw driver) and
place one end on the end of the generator near the bearing. Put the
other end up against your ear. You will be able to hear the bearing. If
it sounds like a grating or grinding noise, it's toast. If it sounds
smooth, your problem is elsewhere. The hard part is listening to the end
where the pulley is. Be VERY CAREFUL working around the moving pulley
and belt. If not, it might be the last work you do on your car!