Re: TR-4A: First problem, leaking brake master cylinder.

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A: First problem, leaking brake master cylinder.
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:21:22 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Well you could dip your finger in the resevoir, write your
initials on the bonnet and see if the paint comes off...

Don't do that...

I could tell you how each one tastes... but don't do that either, and
don't ask me how I know...and don't ask how I know each one burns
when you get it in your eyes...

Silicone fluid is usually blue or purple and is very, very slippery.
It feels like thick cooking oil. Dot 4 seems to be a golden or yellow
color, feels much less oily and makes your skin tingle or burn
slightly on contact.

Check the VTR maintenence website which has a GREAT article on this
subject...

It's very important not to mix them. I wouldn't switch anything
unless you rebuild and purge the entire system!

As to your MC - the single Cyl. should respond nicely to the standard
rebuild kit - provided the cyl. wall is in good to excellent
condition. Otherwise replace (they're available@ $140 or so) or
re-sleeve in SS from White Post or Apple Hyd. - I would think the
"Stainless Steel" solution would be the most permanent... and perhaps
a little cheaper...

Please, please, please listers, let's NOT get back in to the brake
fluid thread...

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV