Re: Finally started

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: Finally started
From: Chad Jester <triumph@uriel.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:45:12 +0900
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Patrick Bitton wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>         I finally started to taking apart my 70 TR-6. I am starting with the
> body and working my way to the heavier stuff like the engine, transmission
> and diff. Is this the right way to go? Does anyone have any suggestions on
> that issue?

Sounds OK to me.  Since it sounds like you're going to do a body-off
anyway,
it is best to lighten the body as much as possible before you remove it
from
the frame

>         I also bought another TR-6. 1974. Since the frame and body on the 70
> are SO!!!! rotten, I will take the frame and body of the 74 and put it on
> the 70.

It sounds to me like you're going to build a '74 with '70 bumpers which
is OK.
Keep in mind, the '74 doors (inner support panel) differ from the '70
because
the closing pull is in the center of the door rather than on the top
padded
rail as on the '69 - '73.  You can probably cover the '74 door with '70
style
door panels if you want....you just can't go the other way without a LOT
of
work.

> I think the bumpers are different and was wondering, can I take the
> valance of the 74 and use it on the 70 bumper or can I use a 70 valance on a
> 74 body?

You can use the '74 valance with a '70 bumper.  The '74 just has tag
lights
flush mounted at the top of the tag.  You could wire them in with the
bumper
mounted tag lights on the '70 bumper and have a lighted tag from above
AND
below.....COOL!  It is a LOT of work to change a valance.  If you don't
have to
change it, don't.  The only advantage is that you can thoroughly
rust-proof
and preserve the area between the inner and outer rear valance when you
have
it off.  You can probably do just as good a job by leaving it on and
preserving
it with Waxoyl AFTER the car is painted.

Good luck!!!  I'm doing a '74 now.  If your '74 Front and Rear bumpers
are in
good condition, I'd be interested in buying them.

Regards,

--
Chad Jester     Seoul, KOREA
'74 TR6         CF15486UO