Re: Frame and rust question

Subject: Re: Frame and rust question
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:03:15 -0500
Patrick Bitton wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>         Thanks for the response on the body question I had. Really helped. I
> have another question. The 74 tr-6 I am getting has rust on the frame. The
> frame seem to just have surface rust. What would be the most economical way
> of removing the rust and what should I use as a primer. Should I prime it
> then paint it? Or should I prime it then put that black gunk rust proofing
> crap on it?
>
> Patrick
> Almost a 1971 TR-6
> CC 52138 0

Hi Patrick!

What I would recommend is the POR-15 treatment.  They have stuff called
Metal-Ready that prepares the metal for paint, and then you paint it
with the POR-15 chassis paint and it is VERY impervious to scratches and
dings, plus will not rust again!  You need to wire brush the frame and
then spray it with the Metal-Ready.  It coats it and gives the paint a
surface to bite into.  Then you can paint with the chassis coat (and
they have putty to use to fill in bangs, too).  It is a good solid
coating that kills the rust and gives you an excellent finish.

I don't have their phone number with me, but can get it if you would
like.  I think the company name is something like Restoratives, Inc. and
they are in New Jersey.

Hope this helps!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   %)