Re: New Valve Cover Gasket - TR2/3/4

To: Glenn Bowley <gbowley@snet.net>
Subject: Re: New Valve Cover Gasket - TR2/3/4
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 07:29:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Glenn Bowley wrote:

> >I am going to bring to the Heartland British Autofest, a new product.
>
> >It is a new silicone valve cover gasket. I replaced  the neoprene gasket
> >I had on one engine for the past 25 years with this new gasket and it is
> >working quite well.
>
> >I have a second one that we are going to install the race car. I am
> >going to bring THIS gasket and some flyers if anyone attending the show
> >on Sunday would like to see it.
>
> >The gentleman who tooled up for this new gasket is looking for some
> >marketing feedback on price and impression. The flyer will have his
> >e-mail address and website.
>
> >I have no personal interest other than encouraging the development of
> >new products for our old Triumphs. Certainly I have no financial
> >interest.
>
> >See you all at Heartland
>
> Along the same topic, I recently tried a new product from Loctite
> Corporation (AKA "Permatext") called "The right stuff." This product is
> basically a foam in-place silicone, (I believe) that totally replaces
> any valve cover gasket.
> I recently tried this product after a valve adjustment on the Spitfire,
> and have had great success so far. This product is slightly expensive at
> about $13.00 a can, but it will produce 7-8 valve cover gaskets (I
> believe a stock gasket for my car is about the same price). The best
> part is that after laying on a bead of this stuff, and bolting the cover
> on, it's ready to go!
> I don't mean to downplay this new product mentioned above, but I think
> every option we have for these cars is of value.
> Just thought you would like to know!
>
> __
> Glenn Bowley in Mansfield, CT
> gbowley@snet.net
>
> '75 Spitfire 1500 (FM30644U)

Assuming the shelf-life of this product stands up to produce 7-8 valve
cover gaskets in its lifetime... $13.00 sounds good...  But, my
(preformed) silicone valve cover gasket will probably last many years...
and probably stand up to dozens of repeated removals/replacements of the
valve cover.  No fuss, no mess, nothing to peal away between uses.
Until I have developed gaskets for the other TR's... perhaps this
"Permatex" can stand in for the others, but otherwise... I think the
silicone gasket is the way to go.

Justin
J.M.Wagner Sales, Ltd.
http://greenheart.com/jmwagner