Re: Merlin stuffing - was Daytona Exhaust

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Merlin stuffing - was Daytona Exhaust
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:20:59 -0400
Hello there \mr. (N/A),  a.k.a. -MM   on the 18th you wrote :

 >    Bruce> I dunno...  I was always partial to a Pratt &
 >    Bruce> Whitney F100-229 stuffed in a Spitfire, although I
 >    Bruce> hear the F119 is a bit more efficient...
 >
 >When I worked at GE Aircraft Engines, I always was tempted to
 >try and stuff a T700 (1800SHP helicopter turbine) into
 >something.  I actually measured a '73 impala and determined
 >that if I could cool the thing it would fit just fine.
 >The GE-F110/129 is a bit oversized for anything that I'd
 >care to drive, although I have seen an add for a tractor
 >pull which alleged to have a GE-110 powered "monster tractor"
 >at it.  I didn't make it to the event, alas...
 >                                                        -MM

..and first, please excuse this list bomb, but my Free-Net mailer
only gives a return address of  \mr. (N/A)  for you.

Your mention of the GE-110 powered "monster tractor" got me to
thinking;  at this year's combine demolition derby at the fair,
one combine was noticeably faster than the rest.  It was not the
one that caught fire, so I was wondering if maybe there was some
secret hi-po engine stuffed up in there.  Since the rules of this
derby are rather forgiving of modifications, I was wondering, what
lay-out of engine is this, a radial ? Big fan and belt drive are
possibilities, could be spectacular, sorry for this non-Triumph
nonsense, maybe I should just call the Air Force Museum or Bruce C.....

Claude Hopper
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case
'43 Lee-Enfield .303  old English iron