'74 TR6 - Delayed Starting Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '74 TR6 - Delayed Starting Problem
From: "G. GANOUNG" <gg07165@spectra.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 07:57:53 -0400
When I go to start the car, there is about a 3 second delay between the
time I hit it and when the starter engages.  It has been that way for
over a year and is very consistent, ie. delay time doesn't vary.  It
behaves the same whether it is cold or hot.  I replaced the starter
relay and it had no effect.  The starter and solenoid are all original.

If anyone has any ideas on what this could be I would like to hear it.