Pointless distributor question

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Pointless distributor question
From: GLENN BOWLEY <gbowley@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 07:52:34 -0400
I have a '75 Spitfire 1500 (FM30644U), that has a points-type distributor on it.
My question is, is this the "correct" distributor for this year? I'm asking
because
I thought '75 and up were equipped with the electronic ignition system. Maybe
there
was a  break-point in the '75 production run when they were switched
over to the electronic type distributor? The reason I'm asking is because I
would like
to install the Crane/Allison XR700 electronic ignition module in the
distributor.
I would like to order the correct ignition system for my distributor.
        By the way, has anybody out there had any experience with the Crane
system? Is it worth the $100? Seems like a good alternative to replacing points
every spring!
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn Bowley in Mansfield, CT