Re: electrical problem

To: Joseph R Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: electrical problem
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:18:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joseph R Schneider wrote:

> fellow listers-
> I have an intriguing electrical problem on my 76 Spitfire and may need   to
>get the ignition switch out at least to test it
> I have only glanced at the switch itself, but the Haynes and Bentley     both
>seem obscure with respect to removal of the ignition switch, the
  steering lock replacement is a flail, does one have to remove that to
  get the gnition switch out? Are there pull off spade connectors that
  can be removed with switch in place?
> thanksJoe,

Unfortunately, unless someone has a better solution, to get to the
tumbler/colum lock assembly, the whole column has to come out.  There are
two shear bolts (heads shear off when bolt reaches tightening spec) that
clamp the assembly to the steering column.

Even once you get the column out, you still need to deal with the shear
bolts (no head). I cut a slot in each end and removed the two bolts with
a screwdriver. Failing that method, you'd have to use an EZ-Out and
replace the shear bolt with new. I think these are special bolts, made
from a softer metal, that are designed to yield to impact, keeping the
steering column out of you chest in case of front impact. I wouldn't
recommend replacing them with even a grade 2 bolt.

If all you need is remove the spade connectors, yeah, you can get to
those by just sliding back the black plastic cap on the harness side of
the switch.

Good luck,
Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot