Spit Steering Rack Bushings

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit Steering Rack Bushings
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:37:41 -0400
Here is a little story I'd like to relate from my TRF Summer Party
visit.
I asked one of the vendors at the Polo Field if he had a factory luggage
rack for a 76 Spitfire. He replied "No, but give me your credit card and
I'll sell you something else." This was during a slow part of the
afternoon and we had a good laugh. But he was only half jesting. He told
me to have my wife turn the steering wheel while I watched the steering
rack and look for movement of the rack. He said just about every Spit
has the problem. He was sure that I would come back and buy his poly
bushings.
I checked and guess what! He was right. The rack moved about a quarter
of an inch, left to right. I went back and bought his bushings (didn't
need the card for a $12 purchase). I've put them in an noticed a big
improvement in responsiveness and the  wandering has disappeared. The
rack movement is non-existent. Thank you Ted.

I'm giving Ted Schumacher an endorsement because he helped me out and
didn't sell me something I didn't need. And he seems like a nice guy.
Ted's business is TSI Automotive in Pandora, Ohio, 419-384-3022 or
800-543-6648. He makes these bushings and others (or has them made for
him).

Now I'll ask him to fix the rear steering effect that I get after
starting a slight turn (e.g. lane changes). I seems that the rear end
exaggerates the turn a fraction of a second later. Its just a bit
disconcerting. Anyone care to fill me in on what is wrong here?

BTW, when I took out the steering rack bushings, they look very new.
There was no sign of wear nor dirt. The PO had changed them just before
I got the car.

P.S. To those that have responded to my enquiries, many thanks. I only
hope that I can return the favor. This forum is just GREAT!

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario